Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 18 April 1980)
- WIPO (from 29 December 1981)
- ARIPO (from 25 April 1984)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
A design shall be deemed to be a new or original design if, on or before the date of application for registration thereof, such design or a design which differs from such design only in immaterial details or in features which are variants commonly used in the trade, was not;
- Known or used in Zimbabwe by anyone other than the applicant, his agent or any person from or through whom the applicant has derived his right or title. Provided that secret knowledge or secret user otherwise than on a commercial scale shall be disregarded for the purposes of this paragraph; or
- Described or illustrated in a publication, whether in or outside Zimbabwe; or
- Registered in Zimbabwe; or
- The subject of an application for the registration of a design in Zimbabwe or of an application in a Convention country for the registration of a design which has subsequently been registered in Zimbabwe in accordance with the provisions of Section 13.
“Design” means features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornamentation applied to an article by any industrial process or means, being features which in the finished article appeal to and are judged solely by the eye but does not include a method or principle of construction or features of shape or configuration which are dictated solely by the function which the article to be made in that shape or configuration has to perform.
“Article” means any article of manufacture and includes any part of an article if that part is made and sold separately.
“Set of articles” means a number of articles of the same general character ordinarily on sale or intended to be used together to each of which the same design, or the same design with modifications or variations not sufficient to alter the character or substantially to affect the identity thereof, is applied.
The Zimbabwe Minister may exclude from registration designs which are primarily literary or artistic in character.
- Power of Attorney (can be late filed).
- Drawings or photographs of design (required on the day of filing).
- Certified copy of priority document, if priority claimed, with verified English translation (can be late filed within three months from filing).
- Assignment (can be late filed).
Duration and Renewal:
Design registration is valid for an initial period of ten years, which is renewable upon payment of the required fees for a further term of five years.
ARIPO design in which Zimbabwe is designated:
Please see aripo